Saturday 14 March 2009

Seat removal and carpet clean

It's been a couple of weeks since I'd so much as seen the boat, but with some nice sunny weather, and no bloody dog show to go to like last weekend, today I set about a doing a few tasks.

The main priority is still generally giving the boat a good clean, and today I wanted to set about the carpet. Especially the area in between the two rear seats. As you can see in the below pic, it's quite grubby!



The easiest way to do this was by using a scrubbing bush with hot water and washing up powder, and then blasting it with the pressure washer. At least that was the plan - first the front seats would have to come out to make space...

I'd sort of wanted to remove these seats anyway, as the wood they were mounted on didn't look too healthy. In truth it was a bit of a bodge job. Removing these seats was fairly painless however, just six screws underneath the base cushion holding them onto the wood.



The aim was to get the wood base plates off today as well, but they were so rotted in place I decided to wait a while. I may have to get a saw to them anyway, and creating saw dust when I'm about to get everywhere wet probably wasn't a good idea! So they would have to stay for now...



After this I gave the boat a big clean with the pressure washer. It now looks a lot better.

I've also made the decision this week to go with the two seat seats at the rear, rather than the planned bench seat. The areas that support the seats could be structual, so it's probably not a good idea to remove them to make a seat! Plus they make nice storage compartments for my sandwiches.

I've also given the seats a decent clean with soapy water now they are out. The wood in the seats is rotting in a few places, so it may have to be replaced. Hopefully the clean I've just given them won't speed along the rotting process!

And since I never posted the picture on the last update, here is the boat looking proud without it's crap name.

No comments:

Post a Comment