Saturday 28 February 2009

A good Spring clean. If Spring means standing in the cold, freezing your b*llocks off, whilst peeling at vinyl letters

Today I spent the day giving the boat a good clean. It's no longer minging to walk or sit in, it's actually quite nice. I've also drained pretty much all of the water from under the floor by standing with the front of the boat held high for about 5 mintues!

I also had the chance to take a few pictures, including a close up of the name before I got rid of it. It took a good half hour to remove it from both sides and the transom, but with good use of a hot air paint-stripper and some thinners, all is gone (obviously I took the pictures before this - my tired hands were in no state to hold a camera afterwards). It looks quite good, and it's quite hard to see where the name ever was.


We've come up with a list of what should be done with the boat:

New rollers for the trailer - The current ones are damaged and mishaped
New cover - Both one for the engine and boat, as at the moment, the cover is slightly too small
New steering wheel - The current one is badly rusted
New rear seats - Rather than simply re-covering the rear seats, it's probably better to make new ones. I'm undecided yet as to whether I want a bench seat or to keep the two rear seats idea
Fix the engine trim/tilt - This is more one for Dad than me, as I have no idea. But yeah, it needs fixing
Weld trailer - A few bits that need re-welding. Again one for Dad
Paint trailer - Including a good amount of rust treatment
New dash/side panels - Rather than recovering the current ones (the wood is a little rotten), it's probably best we make new ones from marine ply. I'm currently in two minds as to whether I would like to cover this or just varnish the wood
Speedometer - Hasn't got one at the minute
New speakers - Being a bit of an audio engineer, the current poor quality, one speaker set up offends me quite a lot
New stereo - This is only a maybe, as I sort of like the radio cassette. It reminds me of my first car, in a retro-tastic kind of way

No comments:

Post a Comment